DECA Mock Comp- Recap

Ms. Grigas

DECA students present to judges

On December 8, over 100 DECA members participated in the annual mock competition. This competition allows students in DECA to present their projects to judges and receive feedback to prepare for the regional and state competitions. A wide variety of projects were presented. One project, presented by seniors Olivia Weadock, Brenden Lee, and Jane Bonazzoli, focused on ways to lower the amount of juuling happening in school.

This is Bonazzoli’s fourth year of DECA, “I want to be a business major and I like researching more on a topic and learning how different categories work in business.” When asked about what advice she would give to other new DECA members she said, “don’t be nervous. The judges are willing to listen.”

For new members of DECA, such as freshmen Grace Cassidy and Ava Reisner, this mock competition was a whole new experience. Cassidy and Reisner were part of the EFB (franchise business plan) category and did their project on Clean Juice. Cassidy and Reisner researched new franchises and Clean Juice, a 100% Certified Organic Juice Bar, was in the top three. When asked about what advice they would give to other new DECA members for future competitions, Grace Cassidy said, “don’t be so nervous, it’s not that bad.”

DECA advisor, Mr. A said that his favorite part of the mock competition is “ how excited the kids get especially after competitions. Everyone’s really nervous before the mock comp, but afterwards it’s completely opposite. People love their idea and get really excited.” Good luck to the DECA members in their upcoming competitions!