NESPA Conference at Boston University

On Friday, May 3, the Journalism and Communications classes went on a field trip to Boston University, specifically the College of Communication. They attended the 71st Annual NESPA, New England Scholastic Press Association, Conference.

The group left as soon as school started and arrived a little after 9 AM for the first workshop. There were a wide variety of workshops, and all of the students had a choice of which one to attend. The first block of workshops ranged from advertising to column writing to the college search.

Niamh Guyer, a freshman who attended the college workshop said, “It was a great opportunity to start figuring out what you want to do with your life.” Abigail Crowell, a sophomore who was at the same workshop commented, “I thought it was pretty interesting meeting the BU students, and I enjoyed hearing their stories about college searches.”

After an hour, the first block ended and students found their way to their next conference room. This block had workshops including editorial writing, spotting fake news, and data journalism. A large number of Nashoba students attended the fake news workshop, after having recently discussed that topic in the journalism class. A student at the fake news workshop said, “I think it was informative and interesting and I am glad I got the opportunity to learn about fake news.”

Once the second block came to an end, all students and teachers went to listen to the keynote speaker. Tom Fielder, the dean of the College of Communication, led a discussion about the importance of journalism and gave students the opportunity to ask questions about his journey as a journalist. He made it a point to tell students that they had the power and ability to make a difference in our world.

All groups went to lunch in Boston and met back in front of the Communication building to return to school. Some students even went to the desert truck located right outside.

Nashoba’s school online newspaper, the Chieftain Press, and online magazine, Chief, won a Journalism Award in scholastic editing and publishing for superior achievement. Thanks goes out to all publishers, editors, and contributors who have worked tirelessly to earn this.

The NESPA conference was eye opening to all students, not just those who wish to become journalists. Meeting professors and students at Boston University, exploring relevant topics that impact our world, and being able to ask questions and learn more from experts in the field was an amazing experience that will not soon be forgotten.