Nashoba Student Raised Money for Leukemia Research

Margot Sonia, a Nashoba freshman, has joined and raised $20,700 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Student of the Year Campaign. On January 17th, she began a seven week competition with students across Massachusetts to raise the most money.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society researches and tries to find a cure for blood cancer, a type of leukemia, and works to help those who have been affected. The donations can be life changing and can bring hope to the lives of those suffering.

After attending a funeral of a loved one who passed away due to blood cancer, and watching her grandmother battle leukemia, Sonia was inspired to contribute to the cause. She has learned that diseases like these impact the lives of everyone, whether they have it or a loved one does.

A friend of Sonia’s lost a 14-month-old cousin to Leukemia, teaching Sonia that, “hope is more powerful than any disease.” This saying inspired her team name, Team Hope. The goal was to raise $20,000, but Sonia was excited that she was able to surpass her goal.

Through this experience she was not only able raise money for this important cause, but was also able to connect with the Nashoba community.

To raise the money Sonia did, she hosted several fundraisers that attracted many people. First, she held a Hope-A Thon at the Sterling Gym which included raffles and games. Next, they had a Concert for Cure with Nashoba musicians at the Lancaster Recreation Center. Once the Solomon Pond Mall added the Knockerball room, she held a fundraiser there. She also received many donations online, including a large one from Teddie Peanut Butter.

Sonia was the runner up in the Massachusetts LLS Student of the Year Campaign with a total of $20,700. She was also awarded a citizenship scholarship for all of her hard work and dedication.

However, she is in the process of finding a Nashoba ambassador for the upcoming year. This would create the involvement of Nashoba in this campaign for many years to come, and would even result in the change of lives. Thank you to Margot Sonia for your tireless work and dedication to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.