Rally Together to Support RFK Action Corps

It’s no secret that the students of Nashoba have seen some new faces roaming the halls. Who are they? Where did they come from? Why are they at Nashoba? These are all understandable questions to ask because it seems as though very few know the answer.

Almost immediately, this group of students was dubbed the ‘RFK Kids”.  Although this term may be easy to remember, it does not define these students, nor does it give an explanation to why this handful of kids are here and where they came from, which seems to be the question of the month.

As one may have guessed, RFK stands for Robert F. Kennedy. The Robert F. Kennedy Action Corps is a non-profit organization based in Lancaster MA that services up to one hundred foster kids at a time. The system was founded in 1969 by the late Robert F. Kennedy. According to the Bolton 5k Rally website, the foster kids attend the school in their home community wherever possible, “while the faculty works with families to solve problems, build skills, and keep families in tact”.

Eighteen kids from this organization attend school in our district  because the  RFK location resides in Lancaster and they are a part of our community.

At this point, one may be thinking… “Okay, how does all of this information relate to me or the Nashoba community?” Well, the answer to that question lies inthree simple words, Bolton 5k Rally. Mark the calendars for June 14th because the Action Corps is hosting a run/walk to benefit the RFK organization. The race starts at Nashoba Regional High School and participants will cross the finish line.  

All proceeds go towards building a new “Fly Zone” for the Lancaster location which will consist of a series of zip lines, ropes courses, and bridges that “has been a dream of the RFK center for many years”, according to the website. “The Fly Zone will help teach the kids, in a non-competitive way how to work together, trust their team, and allow them to feel what it’s like to reach great heights.”

Elizabeth Davis Edwards is heading the rally and hopes to see a great turnout from the Nashoba school district and surrounding communities to support the Action Corps and the foster children who, after all they have been through, deserve a new Fly Zone consisting of zip lines, ropes and bridges high up in the trees.

“We started the rally last year to help the White family of Bolton after the Mom, Dad and Son were severely injured in the Boston Marathon Bombings. As a result of our awesome community that cares so much for one another, just six weeks after the bombings, we had over 600 runners and raised over $30,000. It was an amazing sight to see so much good come out of something so terrible”, says Davis Edwards.

The Bolton 5k Rally is, in part, an attempt to bridge the gap between students who live at RFK and the traditional Nashoba student. On behalf of Elizabeth Davis Edwards, RFK Action Corps and the entire Nashoba community please come out and support a local cause and spread awareness.  “No act of kindness, no matter how small, ever goes unnoticed.”

http://www.rfkchildren.org/

http://bolton5krally.com/