Hockey and Basketball, A Look into The Season

Finally after a long week of continuous tryouts, all winter sports have finalized their teams and are off to a full week of practice and scrimmages. Boys Ice Hockey finalized their teams on Wednesday afternoon with two freshman Matt Cunniffe and Robby Carter,making the Varsity team. Captains Bryce Chaput, Dan Kerble, and Dean Anastas lead the team this seasons and are hoping for a three-peat State Championship. Due to the previous two State Championships in division 3A the boys have been moved up to division 3 this season. Central Mass’s highest division is 3, so our boys are in for some tough competition this year as they play Shrewsbury, Wachusett, and North Middlesex. On the morning of Sunday, December 4th the team played in the annual hockey summit at NESC. They beat Division 3 opponent Lowell Catholic 5-1. Their home games will be played at the NESC in Marlborough so make sure you make the short drive to support our boys this season!

Girls Basketball started practicing on Wednesday night with their final rosters determined on Tuesday. Returning players include Seniors Sam Maglione and Amanda Suleski, Juniors Sarah Gillooly and Anna Cressman, and Sophomores include Julia Roth and Brie Donahue. Maddy Richard, a junior, also adds to the roster with her first season on Varsity. With such a small number of returning players the coaches took in a large group of Freshman to add to their roster. The Freshman players include Abby McNulty, Tess Hunter, Lexi Richard, and Caylie Mcmahon. Having such a young team this season the girls are prepared to out-work all of their opponents to come out on top and make playoffs again this year.

Boys Basketball had an exceptional amount of students try out for the team this year and looks for another great season. The Varsity team consists of Senior Captains Nate Mansour and Trevor Manyak along with returning seniors Andrew Fish, Johnny Campana, Alex Jacobs, and Shane Regonini, the team is a well-rounded group of boys and is expected to have a great season. Sophomore Conner Ojerholm leads the team for forwards as his starting position from last year still stands. His height and athletic ability will really help out our team this year. Make sure you come out to support the boys this season and help cheer them on their road to playoffs.

With such a small number of girls playing Ice Hockey at Nashoba our students play for Algonquin. The team is a mix of girls from Algonquin, Nashoba, and Hudson. Four students from Nashoba tried out for the team including Varsity Junior Captain Julia lane. Other students include Carolina Valenti, Krista Flinkstrom, and Chloe Spedden. Although the girls will be repping maroon and gold this season make sure you take a short ride out to the NESC and catch a game to help support our girls!