Peace Out Nashoba

Peace Out Nashoba

The 2016-2017 school year is wrapping up  Nashoba.  We took on a hard successful year and now it is time to put our feet up with a glass of lemonade and enjoy the warm weather because it is Summer. As a school , and individually, we have achieved many accomplishments this school year  both academically, artistically, extra curricularly, and within our sports teams and clubs. It’s been a great year.

In sports this year all teams can boast greats season as they all  made playoffs. No team can boast more than our boys basketball team  however, as they made it to the D2  state finals  where they played their hearts out at  the Springfield Civic Center. Even though they lost,  the boys made history by being the first boys basketball team to reach the state finals since 1977. If that wasn’t enough, our very own Justin Peirce, received recognition as player of the year for his outstanding effort on and off the court.

Our sports success does not end there. Our Tennis team made it to the state final semi- finals and lost a hard battle to Longmeadow, Lucas Cordio won the D2 state wrestling meet for two consecutive years. Will Cruikshank competed in the New England Track and Field championship in the 110 m hurdles and Steve Beckwith won coach of the year for Track and Field.   Also, a special congratulations go out to Ms. Rich for receiving Athletic Director of the year. Thank you for all of the hard work and commitment you demonstrate in support of our school and sports programs.

In addition to sports, Nashoba also held many great events over the course of the year. At the beginning of the year we organized a schoolwide the lip dub that really fostered school spirit and was a great success to boot. Mr.Nashoba was brought back this year and did not disappoint. The boys, showing off their great talents and wonderful humor, allowed for a fun evening. At the end of the night Mr. Burks crowned Will Cruikshank Mr. Nashoba for 2017.  Our drama club had some amazing shows this year with great turn outs. They performed Kiss Me Kate, The Matchmaker and each grade performed a class play, great year drama club.

In addition to clubs, the individual classes held some fun events including Prom, Powder Puff, and Spring Fling. The junior class had an amazing night on May 20th at their prom at  Wachusett Mountain. The class was able to ride the chair lift, sing and dance and have a nice meal. The After Prom was held at the high school with great games and lots of fun.

Our DECA team had a great year as well. There were five finalist of which four of them went on to compete at the DECA competition in Anaheim, CA. Margaret  Hagopian  Teresa Don, Kegan Castles, and Katherine Pelletier  had strong presentations, but did not place. The students had a great time visiting Disney, Hollywood Studios and enjoyed the California sun! Congratulations ladies and all DECA participants. 

This year was also a year of loses. Nashoba is losing some great staff members that have had such a positive impact here at Nashoba. Dr. Graham is leaving Nashoba this year and will be moving to France. For the last five years Dr. Graham has roamed the halls with à smile on his face making sure we are punctual and safe. Students and staff  will miss Dr. Graham and thank him for guiding us for the last 5 years. Enjoy your time in France and we wish you luck as you move into the next adventure of your life. The high school will also be saying goodbye to a number of teachers this year who are moving on to pursue other endevours, work in new jobs,, and even retire. Good luck to Mr. Ellis, Ms. Betke, Mrs. Martell- Bankson, Mrs. Griffin, and Mr. Burks. You all brought something special to Nashoba and will be miss you next year! Thank you for teaching us – we wish luck. 

As the year wraps up here at Nashoba, The Chieftain Press hopes everyone ends the year strong .Have a wonderful and safe summer.

PEACE OUT!