Massachusetts DECA takes stage this weekend

Over 2000 high school students flocked to Boston this weekend in order to pitch their varied and innovative business ideas. All are vying for a spot at the nationals competition in Nashville, but only a select few will triumph.

DECA, an international organization of teachers, college and high school students prepares leaders and entrepreneurs for careers and education in the business field. Over 265,000 students from over 5,000 chapters participate in the organization every year which culminates in an international competition.

This year the final competition will be held in Nashville, Tennessee. Before they can reach this stage, competitors will have to clear both their district and state stages. Massachusetts has just wrapped up its competition, and soon a few of those students and teachers will be moving on to the home of country music.

Over 150 Nashoba students showed off their ideas and talents on Saturday at the Marriott hotel in Copley square. For many of the returning upperclassmen, this was the year that they were going to make the push beyond states. For newcomers, this was a chance to gain experience and learn from their mistakes.

Nashoba students performed well; over one third of competitors placed in the top ten of their respective categories. Eleven of those students will be moving on to Nashville in order to compete at the next stage. This is no big surprise for the Chieftain program; Nashoba students seem to find success year after year at the state competition, with at least a handful of students qualifying for the trip every time.

Parents and friends were able to follow the competition through Nashoba DECA’s twitter account under the handle @NRHS_DECA. The account is operated by the advisors, including Mr. Andreopoulos, Mrs. Offt, Mr. Murphy and Ms. Foley, One can find updates, pictures, and other fun media on Twitter.

To find more about DECA and the Nashoba chapter you can speak to Mr. A or any current Nashoba DECA members.