Mexico’s Missing Students

43 students were reported missing on September 26, 2014, from the Raúl Isidro Burgos Rural Teachers’ College of Ayotzinapa in Iguala, Guerrero, Mexico. They were said to have been killed by a local gang that had connections to the mayor and his wife after being handed over by the police.

The discontent of  the people of Mexico has been building for many years. Mexicans blame the government for it’s inaction, but many see it as a broad example of the federal government not caring about it’s people’s problems. After receiving such violence and abuse at the hands of the government for so many years, the people have rallied together to try and make a change.

The 43 students that recently went missing is no isolated incident. Every year thousands of people go missing in Mexico, with most of the disappearances going unsolved. “It is not just them,” Housewife Nora Jaime during Thursday’s demonstration told the Associated Press, referring to the missing students. “There are thousands of disappeared, thousands of clandestine graves, thousands of mothers who don’t know where their children are.”

A three day, seven bus convoy containing over 400 relatives and classmates set out for the capital to stage a massive rally on November 20th, the 104th anniversary of the beginning of the Mexican Revolution.

Federal Attorney General Jesús Murillo Karam released the names of the gang members that murdered the students on November 7th, stating he was tired of questions. The students’ bodies were burned at a garbage dump in a fire that lasted 14 hours, any remnants were then thrown into the San Juan River in garbage bags.

After this statement, the situation was further escalated when when police shot two student protesters at Mexico City’s Autonomous University. ”
Ya me canse,” meaning “Enough, I’m tired,” was turned on the Federal Attorney General, with comments like, “Enough, I’m tired of Murillo Karam,”and “If you’re tired, why don’t you resign?”

Uruguay President Jose Mujica described Mexico saying it was a “failed state” in response to the riots, but later released a statement saying, “The crude news that reaches us about the consequences of drug trafficking in countries like Guatemala, Honduras and now Mexico shout to us a lesson of true pain that could show us our own futures,” Mujica said. But “they are not, nor will be, these nations, innocuous or failed states…”

The riots continue in Mexico, parents, classmates, and friends alike, rally together in hope that a better tomorrow could be possible in the near future.