Goodbye Nashoba: A Reflection of the Past Four Years

As I near the culmination of a 4 year journey at Nashoba, I reflect on opportunities and great moments that have made me proud to be able to call myself a Chieftain, as well as a member of the Class of 2018. Through the accomplishments and hurdles I have faced in high school, I have constantly told myself that “Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot”. I am taking the time to reflect on the unique lens I was able to see Nashoba through.

Looking back, the first snapshot would show my initial experience entering into high school. You would recognize an overwhelmed freshman coming from Stow, only knowing one-third of the students in this grade. While most of us were excited about meeting new people, being involved with high school sports and the overall experience of being in high school, my personal perception was a bit different.

The second snapshot would show me reflecting on my freshman year; I realized a heavy focus on academics left me with a feeling of disconnect.  I saw an opportunity through this lens in which I wanted to become involved within this tight knit community. This was the moment in which I realized that we each play an integral role in being a classmate of the Class of 2018. It was the moment when I realized the iconic phrase “Once a Chieftain, Always a Chieftain” held meaning for all students; an opportunity for all of us to contribute to our class in our own way.

The third snapshot. There was no turning back.  During the final days of freshman year, I signed up to become a student ambassador, not realizing at the time how this opportunity would change my high school experience and help shape me into the person I would become.  It was my time to contribute. On the first day of sophomore year, I was assigned to assist in Mrs. Carter’s homeroom. While waiting for the students to arrive, I had, what I realize now, was a very significant conversation as I shared my interest in video and desire to be a part of the Nashoba news broadcasts. To my surprise and happiness, within the first few weeks of my sophomore year, I was already assisting daily with video announcements and started to become immersed in all things Nashoba. The moment had happened – I felt like a Chieftain.

Getting involved in Nashoba News allowed me to pursue a passion, but more importantly it gave me the opportunity to see Nashoba through a new lens. This new lens, literally was the lens of a camera. Every time I would head out to cover an event, with my camera in toe, I quickly learned that I was witnessing another part of the amazing community that Nashoba has to offer. I knew that behind each photograph, video or interview, was an individual who had a true passion and drive.

The Class of 2018 is one grade in particular that stood out from the rest. Whether it was because of the pride in academics, the involvement in athletics, the arts, clubs, community service, or because they are truly welcoming people; they have made our time at Nashoba memorable.  During the past four years, I have witnessed people, including myself, join together as one grade and one community. When asked as a freshman where are you from, many would answer Stow, Bolton or Lancaster, but as we all grew more connected with our community, most will respond today with “Nashoba”.

During the past four years, I have had the privilege of joining my classmates in cheering on the Nashoba football team, not once, but twice at Gillette Stadium in the Superbowl, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the EMT Program, watching several seamless performances by the drama, band and chorus clubs, seeing the skilled artwork by students on display in the Media Center and watching students stand up for what they believe in.

I have also been able to see that the Nashoba community extends well beyond 12 Green Road. Whether it was students heading to Africa to provide medical assistance, competing in Boston or Atlanta as a member of DECA, attending the Best Buddies Friendship Walk, raising money for Relay for Life, holding clothing and food drives, Nashoba has so much to offer. 

I think the hardest part of saying goodbye to Nashoba is leaving behind the numerous clubs I was involved in, the friendships I’ve made, and the skills and lessons I’ve learned along the way. They are proof and constant reminders, at least to me, that even with a slow start you can be successful. I am proud to have helped expand Nashoba News and the Chieftain Press to include live-streaming of special events and introduce a satellite station at Luther Burbank Middle School to help bring up the next generation of journalists.  I am happy with the work I have completed, and know that it will continue to have a positive impact on the Nashoba community for years to come.

All of this would not be possible without the hard work and dedication of teachers who have supported us along the way, and provided us with a great education. Looking back, I would like to recognize and thank the teachers and staff at Nashoba who have made me proud to be a member of the Nashoba Regional High School Class of 2018.

My journey during the last four years has made me the person I am today and I am sure many of my fellow classmates feel the same way. As we all head off in our own direction next fall, I have a few pieces of advice that I would like to leave you with. The first is to get involved in your next community. Getting involved allows you to meet amazing people, make lifelong friendships and memories, and learn more about what you are truly interested in. The second is to take advantage of the opportunities that come your way, as they will have an impact on your future. Even the smallest opportunity might lead you in a direction you never expected.

As I move onto the next chapter of my life, I dedicate this piece to the teachers, staff and administrator who have had a positive impact on my journey during the past four years.

Class of 2018, it looks like this chapter has come to a close. I am proud and thankful to have spent the last four years with all of you. I wish each of you the best of luck, and remember “Once a Chieftain, Always a Chieftain”.